Monday, January 2, 2012

The...

Dear Anonymous Reader,
"Expect the unexpected." 
Cliche advice. If I sit and think about it, it's obviously illogical. A more fitting phrase would be something like:
"Surprise! Have fun with that one, why don't ya!" 
Yeah, not much better. The whole issue with the unexpected is that it is, in fact, unexpected. There's no way to prepare for it...hence the title. So telling someone to prepare for what's unprepareforable (haha, yes, it made me laugh) is, of course, just to make you feel good.


It's a new year. A lot of people make resolutions. Nothing wrong with that. Goal-setting is always a good idea. I personally don't set any resolution for the simple reason that if I don't make any resolution, I don't have anything to be resolute about. 


I'll never let go, Jack!
Woops.
Now I'll just lie here, on a door, and sing to myself.
Kidding.

But really.

With a new year, some people are expecting the worst. Some are expecting the best. Some just don't expect anything. It's not that I don't make resolutions so I can be lazy and not commit to anything (although some may argue that...and argue it well), it's just that the whole new years resolutions thing, to me, is something most people do just because everyone else does.

It's the yearly fad.

So they feel guilty (or pressured) and do it too.

Jac Depczyk-Photographer's Choice-Getty Images
I will have sexy abs!

Which is why gym memberships are up the most in January, but come February, all those high-expectant newbies are nowhere to be found. 

Now don't misunderstand me. I'm not dogging New Years Resolutions, I'm dogging making resolutions just because it's New Years. Because then, it doesn't really mean anything. Sure, if you see something you genuinely want to change about yourself and this is the time you do it, awesome. But if you're going to commit to something, then commit. 

Tangent completed. 

Back to expectations. I'm planning on going on a road trip tomorrow. I'm hoping it's an awesome ski trip that will provide a whole van load of good memories. 

But I honestly don't know what will happen (which is half the fun).

The same goes for this next year. I expect to work and go to school. In fact, I expect to work and go to school for the next 2 or 3 years. But what I really know is that something is gonna change. Something will happen that I don't expect. Something will come out of left field some day and knock me off my feet like it always does. 

I hope it's good. But I know some things wont be. I had few this last year.

And I'll be surprised, but not really, because I'm expecting the unexpected.

Yeah, I just contradicted myself. 

Happens.

At any rate, I wish you all a happy new year. Through all the good expected times and through all the surprising and potentially terrifying unexpected times, may you be blessed and shown His greatness.
“Forget the former things; 
   do not dwell on the past. 
 See, I am doing a new thing! 
   Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? 
I am making a way in the wilderness 
   and streams in the wasteland." -Isaiah 43:18, 19 

Sincerely,

-Sean

No comments:

Post a Comment