Thursday, January 19, 2012

Everybody Leaves

Dear Anonymous Reader,


Some nights I'm lucky enough to be exhausted and just fall right to sleep. Other nights, though, thoughts get stuck in my over-analytical head and keep me up for hours.


Much like tonight.


The particular thought is this: A friend and I were discussing certain things about how each other acts and what has shaped our personalities. This friend is fairly guarded, and when I asked her why, she replied with something along the lines of, "Well, everybody leaves eventually. Helps keep me from getting hurt."


I couldn't agree more. Everyone does leave. Grandparents, parents, spouses, children, friends, strangers, pets, heck, even your car keys. Everybody some day will either move away, move on, get mad (or whatever) and exit the relationship, grow out of touch, or keel over and get buried six feet under.


Now, it's not all so immediate or pessimistic, but it's generally the way it goes.


So, needless to say, the only thing that has been running through my head for the past hour is "Everybody leaves." That phrase alone tends to suck the purpose out of everything for me. 


Eventually there will be no one left to share life with (unless I'm the lucky one who goes first).


But then, out of the silence, came this:
"The LORD is the one who goes ahead of you; He will be with you. He will not fail you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.” -Deuteronomy 31:8
I don't know the future, but He does. I can speculate and depress myself into some useless, heartless corner full of everything but sleep and relationship, but the truth is, He's already gone before me. He's already been there.


I have nothing to fear.


Even after everyone leaves, for whatever reason, He'll still be here sustaining me through it all.


Sustaining you through it all.


And bringing new life.


Sincerely,


-Sean 

No comments:

Post a Comment