Sunday, December 11, 2011

Dear Anonymous Reader,


It's easy to get lost in our own misery. 


When words just aren't enough


Depressing post already, I know. Get over it (Erm, I mean, cheer up!).


But really, for whatever biological (or psychological) reason (and I say whatever 'cause I'm throwing it out there without any scientific data whatsoever), we seem to be engineered to dive into ourselves whenever we feel down (although some dive into Facebook posts seeking attention). Or maybe that's just me. We know we're feeling crappy, we feel like it's contagious (which, to some extent, it can be), and it seems that, for the moment, it defines us.


Heck, even David knows what I'm talking about.
"Save me, O God, for the waters have threatened my life.I have sunk in deep mire, and there is no foothold; I have come into deep waters, and a flood overflows me. I am weary with my crying; my throat is parched; meyes fail while I wait for my God. Those who hate me without a cause are more than the hairs of my head; those who would destroy me are powerful, being wrongfully my enemies; what I did not steal, I then have to restore." -Psalm 69:1-4
Here's the man after God's own heart, called from being a Sheppard boy to being king, he killed that 9ft Philistine guy, he brought the Ark back to Jerusalem, he danced naked in front of everyone and embarrassed his wife...


...but oh wait, that's right. He was also the guy that was nearly killed by Saul, he ended up sleeping with that Bathsheba chick (sure, his bad, but still...), he ended up having his baby die, and he ultimately watched his kingdom get torn to bits by his greedy/selfish sons.


I think I summed that up right. If not, feel free to correct.


At any rate, even the so-called "giants" of the bible had sucky moments. Job, great example. Jeremiah, cried so much he's known as the Weeping Prophet, John had his head cut off thanks to a stripper. Heck, Jesus even told his disciples:
"Then they will deliver you to tribulation, and will kill you, and you will be hated by all nations because of My name." -Matthew 24:9
It's been a hard couple of months for various reasons. Stress from school, from relationships, from preparation for the future, etc. It's so easy to allow our focus to drift away from the Source and onto the problems.


However:
"Fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." -Hebrews 12:2
I never solved a math problem by staring at the page. And if I didn't know it (tests aside), I sought out someone who did. I never found directions to my destination by staring at a road. I  found a map (or GPS) and followed the directions. 


And I never found happiness in the company of myself. I may have sorted a few things out. I may have found some clarity in the Word. But fellowship, not only with other believers, but with Christ himself, is the only thing that has ever brought peace and restoration.


It's been a crappy couple of months. I've been reclusive (a bad habit, I know), but tonight was good. Good company, good conversation, good, cheesy guitar singin' country sing-a-longs, and a good movie.


I'm thankful for the friends God has place in my life because they're a tender reminder of who He is. He's not a God to leave us alone.


So if you're going through that season of misery, of doubt, of despair and loneliness, remember: He's Jehovah Jireh: The Lord will provide...even in the most unexpected moments and in the most unexpected ways.


Sincerely,


-Sean

No comments:

Post a Comment